Old July 15th 05, 04:45 PM
jeff

Nathan W. Collier wrote:
<..>
>he _defined_ freon as a compound. to quote: "freon is a
> compound".
>
> mistaken? dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=freon
> defines it as:
>
> "A trademark used for a variety of nonflammable gaseous or liquid
> fluorinated hydrocarbons employed primarily as working fluids in
> refrigeration and air conditioning and as aerosol propellants."
>
> it is a trademark used. it is not a compound, a mixture, or anything else.
> im right, youre wrong, now spin and lie like a good liberal.

No Nate, you were simply being a pedantic little prick attempting to
deflect the core of the discussion with a bit of minutia. You had made
the statement that CFCs were mixtures. Mixtures and compounds are not
the same thing. I am aware that Freon is a registered trademark, but it
has become so generic that to the common man if you were to use the word
they instantly know what you are talking about. An excellent example of
this is to search E-Bay (tm) for Freon. Hundreds of hits for Freon-12
and Freon Sniffers, and Freon conversion kits. As an "Industry Insider"
you, of course, are daily exposed machinations of DuPont's legal
department is trying to reassert some level of branding.
http://www.answers.com/topic/genericized-trademark
As a final note, when I skin a knuckle working on my jeep, I put a
bandaid on it.

--
jeff