Old July 22nd 05, 02:06 PM
Pooh Bear

> I does mean get ready to go and once you have passed your test there is no
> need to have the emergency brake while seating at traffic lights and 99% of
> people do not do this.

I'd disagree with your 99% figure. Somewhere either side of 50% depending on
situation and driver preference.

If you're waiting on a hill, setting the handbrake is virtually essential. If
the lights have just turned red, it's normally more comfortable to select
neutral and set the brake than wait in gear with both clutch and footbake
depressed.

Both styles are used.

> I loved the comment about since most cars are manual, it amazes how many
> america drivers take forever to move when the light turns green and the
> intersection is clear and I know that they are driving an automatic. I
> think this why it takes two tries to get through traffic lights and it does
> not help that 99% of the roadways use traffic lights and stop signs.

No-one round here is slow to move off and manual gearbox equipped cars pull away
much faster than any automatic I've been in.

Graham