Old August 15th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
One out of many Daves

Default 71 VW Bug Autostick Problems

"n5hsr" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Noice87" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> well before when I drove it I coudl start it in Netural, First,
>> Reverse. And I have tried in all of those but nothing.
>>

> Hmm. I thought after 1968, the DOT would have required some sort of
> neutral safety switch for the automatic, but I guess it was grandfathered.
>
> Charles of Schaumburg

No you are right Charles............my '69 Beetle autostick had that nss.
It seems like this poster had the nss bypassed.

It could be the wiring to the starter got disconnected, or the starter went
bad and needs to be checked along with the battery.
Try jumping the battery to see if it makes any difference.

--
later,
dave