Old April 3rd 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Need help from a Buick Oddfire V6 Guru

Perhaps he does not understand how to correct the problem if he is one tooth
when the distributor was installed.

If it is one tooth off it may still be timeable if the distributor can be
rotated sufficiently.

Check the timing, with a light, while cranking. If you are one tooth off
you may have to search to find the mark. I used to rub chalk or paint the
marks with nail polish for visibility.

I do not know if this V-6 is an interference engine. Do you know Bill?

Note where the rotor points while installed.
Carefully and slowly remove distributor
Note where rotor now points.
Rotate rotor one tooth in the appropriate direction
Slowly re-insert distributor
Rotor should point directly to cylinder #1 terminal
Check timing.

Do you have a timing light? If not you can do it manually by setting the
timing mark at the appropriate advance and rotating the distributor until
you get a spark.