Old March 4th 05, 09:38 PM
Malc

"mcewena" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Me.
>
> I was quite happy with my TM/Guillemot wheel but bought a Momo when I
> saw it on sale. I couldn't beleive the difference afterwards.

Me too, when I first bought a wheel (after racing for years with a joystick)
I got a TM FF wheel & was very happy with the feedback (with the 10.xx
drivers) and really liked the meaty pedals. Unfortunately the pedal base
broke after 3 weeks & I replaced it with a Momo Force (red one). The pedals
were much lighter but adding a squash ball under the brake made a big
improvement, and while I was happy enough with the TM feedback the Logitech
wheel really is in another league. Noisy gears but really superb feedback.

After 30 months the Momo has a little play around dead centre and the squash
ball could do with replacing, but it's still absolutely solid, although
admittedly I look after it.

The drivers are imo more user-friendly than the TM ones, although it depends
on what you are used to I guess.

For gpl I use the following FF settings in my core.ini:

[ Joy ]
allow_force_feedback = 1
force_feedback_damping = 10.000
force_feedback_latency = 0.016
max_steering_torque = 300.000

I like the forces light enough to tell me what's going on without dictating
where the car goes, and with the squash ball it's very easy to consistently
apply the right pressure to the brakes, and modulate. The pedals are hinged
though, which is a little odd at first & not to everyone's taste but I find
them comfortable to use for extended periods.

If you are happy with the TM I'd say you won't be disappointed by the
Logitech wheel, and apart from the weight of the pedal springs I'd say it's
better in all respects.

The Momo /racing/ wheel (black one) has the same (or better) ff, but I
believe it uses plastic for things like the paddles & bearings rather than
cast alloy & ball bearings in the Momo Force. Longevity might be an issue,
but they are pretty cheap & still available ;-)

hth, Malc.