Old October 12th 04, 04:08 AM
Mark

My '97 3.3 w/ 87k on it has a lot of rust on the pan as well. It's way more
than surface rust - so I have to believe its a steel formulation problem.
Crawling under my vehicle to inspect my oil pan for rock chips is not my
idea of routine maintenance unless of course it was made in China ? ! If it
rusts through, that will be the straw that broke the camel's back.

> GJ
> "maxpower" > wrote in message

If the pan did rust from the outside in.... somewhere, somehow this vehicle
lacks serious
> maintenance!!!
> > wouldnt you see the rust and repair the pan before it got to this

point??
> > believe there is more to this story then what is being told...... I cant

> see
> > any assisstance from Chrysler or any other manufacuter helping out
> > Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
> > "Plasticman" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > I had a critical failure in my 2000 GC last week. The oil pan seems

> > have
> > > rusted through, and drained out all the oil. The big issue is that I

> was
> > > going 85 km/h when it happened. This thing is 58 months old, and was

in
> > for
> > > a service and oil change to the dealer 2 months ago.
> > >
> > > best bet it seems is a remanufactured engine. Is this a common

problem?
> > > Should the dealer take the responsibility since it was only a couple

of
> > > months agio that they had it last? I can see the trail of oil now that

> > there
> > > is light, and it obviously was draining for some time the night

before.