Old July 17th 05, 07:15 PM
jim beam

motsco_ _ wrote:
> chibitul wrote:
>
>> My 2001 Civic LX manual transmission has almost 60k miles. I think the
>> original engine oil was special because the dealership refused to
>> change it until I had about 7500 miles. Then I changed the oil every
>> 5000-6000 miles, I figured my driving is between normal (10k) and
>> severe (5k).
>>
>> Anyway, I read here about synthetic, and while I am going to search and
>> find more information about synthetic oil (benefits, cost, oil change
>> frequency, drawbacks), I though to ask you guys if it is too late for
>> this engine to switch to synthetic.
>>
>> if synthetic was all that great, why does not Honda use synthetic right
>> from the beginning? just curious.
>>
>> thanks
>>

> -------------------
>
> At least one of your questions is answered here . .
>
> http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
>
> I'm not sure if I agree with everything said, but it's starting to make
> sense to me. . .
>
> 'Curly'

that article is amazing. i've seen engines run hard from new, and they
can turn to crap in a few thousand miles, blue smoke, no compression...
i just love it when some kid comes up with a "solution" to a problem
that's occupied the best & brightest for over a hundred years, and had
millions of dollars dumped into research. just amazing.

there was a great one in the news recently about some kid that had a
"solution" for creating hydrogen for the upcoming "hydrogen economy" -
he was out there touting for funding, you know the routine. his
"solution"? sodium! water is the most abundant source of hydrogen, so
if you can liberate hydrogen from water, you have a plentiful supply of
hydrogen, right? now, as any junior chemist knows, sodium liberates
hydrogen when reacted with water, so, that was the premise of this kid's
"solution". trouble is, obtaining the sodium is way more energy
intensive than something like direct electroytic reduction of water, so
apart from the fact that you have, er, an "environmental situation" with
all the sodium hydroxide you've created, you're wasting energy on an
entirely superfluous fabrication route.

it's just hilarious that people come up with this stuff without the
slightest shame. but hey, the beauty of the internet is no barriers to
entry. and the beastliness of the internet is, you guessed it, no
barriers to entry.