Old November 30th 04, 06:25 PM
Eric

Rob wrote:
> "remcow" > wrote in message >...
>
>>>When attempting to start the car the first turn of the key lights the
>>>ignition lights and the stereo goes on, then when you make the final
>>>turn of the keys you hear a click, all power goes out and nothing else
>>>happens. Turning the ignition to off and back on a second time does
>>>absolutely nothing and there is no power whatsoever inside the car.
>>>
>>>The only way to attempt to start the car is to open the car door where
>>>it seems to reset something and then it allows for a try at ignition.
>>>
>>>There is no alarm on the car so I don't believe it to be a ignition
>>>kill issue. The battery seems to be working fine except for this
>>>periodic issue. The only recent work to the car has been the
>>>installation of a new car stereo. The previous owners (who are friends
>>>of mine and will assist in anyway possible) have never had this
>>>problem but haven't driven the car much at all since having the stereo
>>>installed at Circuit City.
>>>
>>>I have not ruled out the Main Relay but I've never read any postings
>>>that involve having to open and close the door to reset the system.

>>Hey Rob
>>
>>That's a weird one - that resetting by opening up a door is just bizarre.
>>What happens when you start the car with the door open?
>>When you say that theres' no power, you mean that even the radio is dead?
>>
>>Just to clarify: with main relay, do you mean the relay under your dash,
>>right?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Remco

> The door doesn't seem to make a difference. It will usually start with
> the door open unless it's having one of these fits where the same
> thing happens. Everything is dead when the car won't start. Power
> locks, all lights, radio, etcc. Turning the key off and on again does
> absolutely nothing until I open the door where it seems to reset
> something. Maybe a short somewhere which is why I wonder if it's the
> radio since the previous owners have never had that problem before.
>
> I am speaking of the main relay under the dash. It seems that's a
> common problem with Hondas but the only difference is heat doesn't
> seem to make a difference which makes me think it's not the relay. Not
> too mention I've never heard of a complete loss of power.
>
> Thanks to everyone for your help!
>
> Rob

I had a similar problem with my '85 Accord, some one had installed a new
stereo, long before I got it, however intermitently it just didn't want
to start. I ended up opening the panel where all the connections were
made, for me at the fuse panel, and removed then replaced (put back in)
the block that went to the ignition, seems to have a loose terminal post
from them installing the new stereo or something, anyway started right
up for me. Good Luck.

HTH

Eric

--
To Reply directly delete "removethis" from email address