Old October 13th 04, 11:52 PM
Eightupman

FYI....."cyanoacrylate" = Super Glue. while superglue bonds a lot of low
stress applications, I do not think that the brittle properties of that
adhesive will accomplish your desired task.

As far as I know the dry taper and the keyway is all you need. As long as
the keyway fits snug into the shaft, part of it's purpose is to prevent
rotation.

"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
> 1. The application is to install a rotary shaft oil seal in an aluminum
> housing. The configuration of the seal is with a rubber coated outside
> diameter. The fit in the bored housing is a light push fit. I suspect

the
> seal will work loose on its own during service. What is the best way to
> install this seal? Options I've considered include replacing this seal
> constructed with a metal o.d., but this is not normally recommended due to
> the high coefficient of expansion. A more promising solution is to "glue"
> the seal in with Loctite 495, cyanoacrylate adhesive. Will that work?
>
> 2. The problem is installing a chain sprocket onto a keyed tapered shaft
> which is then secured with a retaining nut. What is the best practice:
> Install on clean and dry taper, install on greased taper, or apply a high
> strength Loctite 272 to the taper before assembly? The idea is to make a
> good assembly but be able to disassemble with no more than a puller

without
> heat. Am I correct in assuming that the key is designed for indexing but
> the torque is taken up by the taper? If the taper is greased, removal is
> easy, but the torque might be passed on to the key and cause localized
> stress and failure. Clean and dry I think is the standard way of

assembly,