Old July 22nd 05, 05:09 AM

Default 2000 Jeep Cherokee - Vibration between 50mph and 55mph (about)

sounds like a tire is unbalanced.
make sure a weight has not fallen off.
old john

Hello, mr!
You wrote on 21 Jul 2005 08:20:56 -0700:

mr> Before this problem appeared in its current obvious fashion, I may have
mr> noticed some sort of *slight* vibration in this ~55mph range.

mr> 3 months ago, at inspection time, I needed one new tire. I got the
mr> same tire as I already have on - Goodyear Wrangler GSAs. They balanced
mr> and mounted the tire. They also put on new ball joints all around and
mr> did an alignment. It was a pricy visit.

mr> For the next week, everything was *perfect*. Then I was on a weekend
mr> drive and all of a sudden it felt like the jeep was falling apart. I
mr> could feel the vibration through my feet and through my seat, but it
mr> was very strong through the steering wheel. Braking to slow down out
mr> of the offending speed, or accelerating to speed up out off it cures
mr> everything.

mr> So, yes, I've been driving like this for a while, now, trying to take
mr> care not to spend time in the vibrating range. It's odd, the problem
mr> only seems to occur if I stay in that range, not if I speed up steadily
mr> through it or slow down steadily through it.

mr> My inaction is from lack of trust in the mechanic who did the ball
mr> joint work and the lack of funds I'll need in case it's a huge job.

mr> Now, my reading has led me to have hopes that it's simply a matter of a
mr> possible weight fallen off a tire or a wheel out of balance for another
mr> reason. Is there anything else I should consider? I need to get this
mr> taken care of.

mr> The vehicle seems fine except for this. Sometimes the vibration
mr> doesn't seem that bad, other times it seems like the wheels are falling
mr> off.

With best regards, . E-mail: