Old July 18th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

Default Engine Rebuild

tricky wrote:
> Hello all - hope you are well !
>
> Last week I went to an engine building demo. We stripped down and
> re-assembled an engine and had it running all in a day !
>
> Yes including splitting the case !.
>
> It was an eye opener for me - I had got the idea over the years of reading
> forums and groups like this, that splitting the case was a big deal !
>
> the new crank and rods were all assembled ready to drop in, and the new case
> had been clearanced, but it was nice to see that there was nothing scary in
> there .
>
> Anyhooo - It has inspired me to strip down one of mine - soooo getting to
> my question.
>
> I have the tom wilson book and I have read on here that the section of cam
> timing is wrong. What exactly is wrong with that section ? we were shown
> how to set the timing in the demo, but looking at the wilson book, altho he
> times it differently, its not obvious (without a stripped engine in front of
> me) what he is doing wrong.
>
> If anyone has the book, and knows which bit he does wrong, can you let me
> know please.
>
> BTW The demo I went to should be on the discovery channel (UK) later in the
> year, I will post when I know the dates.

That is cool -- I hope we get to see that program in the US as well.

Don't know about the Tom Wilson book.
I used the bugme video in conjunction with my Bentley and a another
rebuilding book to rebuild my 75's engine (it needed a new case as the
bearing seats were beat). Checked the facts from one source to another
and they all agreed.
Are you talking about the timing between cam and crank shafts? I do
remember lining up the marks and then slipping both shafts where they
belong. Don't think you can line the gear marks up with the shafts in
already.
If you want, I can replay my DVD tonight to make sure.

Remco