Old November 6th 04, 07:34 PM
Kirk S.

Default Audi 5000 Camshaft removal/install

Hi,

I'm replacing the lifters on my 86 5000 and am having lots of trouble with
the camshaft bearing caps. If I follow the manual, there is no way that I
can put the caps back on. The procedure as I understand it is as follows:

a) place engine at TDC; marks on camshaft pulley and crankshaft
b) loosen caps 2 & 4 diagonally
c) remove caps 2 & 4
d) loosen caps 1 & 3 diagonally
e) remove caps 1 & 3

The manual calls for reinstalling in the same order. The problem is that
there is no way to install cap 4 with the lobes pushing on the lifters.

What am I doing wrong? Should I install in the reverse order? That would
make sense to me.

Thanks in advance!

Kirk S.