Old June 20th 05, 10:28 PM
Ross Garrett

"DaLoverhino" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> wrote:
>> Why do BMW limit thier cars to 155mph? Whats the point? Especally on
>> the M5 and the M3? They would be even better if they were unlimited to
>> do thier, IIRC 205mph?.

> Is that also true in Europe? I thought they limited the speed limit in
> USA due to some federal traffic laws?

My understanding is that it has been a "gentleman's agreement", between BMW
and Mercedes, along with Audi to a lesser extent. I don't actually remember
the reasons but I suspect if they opened these cars up to their potential
speeds the OMC cost for tires would escalate significantly. So I am not
certain their agreement was not about the consumer as much as it was about
limiting their costs for cars they knew weren't ever gonna be driven faster
than that anyway. Most of these makers have gone above and beyond the limit
in certain "special" models...Audi in particular with their RS and S models
and Merc with some of their AMGs.

I believe each is still offering to program these limits out of your car,
after your have taken possession of it, for a small fee and a number of
signed waivers and disclaimers.