Old May 27th 05, 06:40 AM
Vincent Wilcox

fbloogyudsr wrote:
> "Vincent Wilcox" > wrote
>
>> Fine, but which states employ the most effective/draconian (depending
>> upon perspective) enforcement? How has that affected things?

> I'm not sure how "compliance" would be easily measured. Certainly
> the WA DOT data don't show good compliance; perhaps the fars
> site has that info buried somehow. Here's my anecdotal take on it.
>
> OR(egon) probably has the best compliance - and lowest interstate
> limit - on the west coast. You have the WA data; CA is probably
> not as compliant: speeds on the (70mph limit) freeways there are
> probably 5-10mph higher than in WA, especially as you go south
> of San Francisco.

Britain has on the whole pretty good compliance, hence the
figures.Portugal is **** poor as is Spain and France. The French are
rather embarassed about it and they've had around a ~20% drop but
they've really been clamping down, hard. I live in France work but work
in the Britain. I am unsure how the German figures changed after
re-unification.

> Enforcement in OR is quite a bit more overt than in WA and CA.
> However, the "rule" appears to be 10mph over in the 55 limit sections,
> and 5mph over in the 65 sections. MT has low enforcement (except
> for out-of-staters). ID(aho) seems pretty lax in enforcement.

Err, sorry I've got OR being Oregon (correct?) but I have to look up my
WA and CA definitions.WA is Washington and CA California? Verbosity here
would help.

I still don't understand what you mean though. Is this fact?

> So, overall I would say that compliance has no effect - even
> in some cases negative effect - on fatality rates. Note the
> CA/WA/OR rates: OR, with highest compliance, has a higher
> fatality rate than WA/CA.
>
> Floyd

Thats not what we see here. The French have increased the number of
cameras, cue. Someone saying but not since ... or whatever, but in the
interim there were a mass of warnings before they were introduced. A
lorry/truck driver friend was on the ball about this years before they
were introduced, although as he said at the time. I didnt have to worry
because I had a British number plate. Not so now.