Old May 27th 05, 04:17 AM
fbloogyudsr

> Vincent Wilcox wrote:
>> I apologise in advance for the crosspost but would like the input of our
>> esteemed US counterparts in this discussion. I have of course included as
>> closely as I can match the same or similar two groups. It is basically a
>> question of Montana providing the hard evidence that is needed to drop
>> speed limits, below is my initial take on the situation and a repost to
>> the above, this is opinion and I look forward to views.

You don't state your opinion very well, your post is very disorganized
and incoherent. I'm guessing that you want lower speed limits and
want to find statistics that say that lower speed limits save lives. That
is demonstrably not the case, in terms of fatality *RATE*.

>> Montana had a reduction in fatalities from 1995 to 1996 of 11% the year
>> the speed limit was removed. It is noted that the fatalities in the later
>> part of the year are reduced[1], what time in 95 were the restrictions
>> removed?
>>
>> Why did Montana have a 31% increase in fatalities for the period
>> 1996/97[1]?

It was a blip. They immediately went back down the next year. See:
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/finalr...Fatality_Rates

>> The question is this, is Montana representative of the rest of the world?

No. They are not even representative of the US. Note that the fatality
rate is different for MT than the majority of the US (see my reference.)
Since about 2000 they have had a 75mph limit, with very poor compliance
(I've driven there, and it's more like 85mph, as is Arizona, where the
fatality rate is in line with the US average.)

Please read in the report you posted: the rural (non-interstate)
roads have a very high fatality count and rate. Speeds on interstates
haven't affected the rate, and in fact it is now lower than in the period
before '97, in line with the rest of the US.

Speed limit compliance (especially on interstates - motorways for
you UK guys) in the US is not very good. The WA DOT publishes data
showing that:
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/finalr...Fatality_Rates

Also, please note the section in the report you mention that talks
about *HOW* speed limits should be set (on page 5: FHWA). There
is no way to align your opinion with demonstrated facts from scientific
studies that support these guidelines.

Floyd