Old October 10th 04, 09:40 PM
AZGuy

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:39:00 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, John Kunkel wrote:
>
>> > The engine speed is not connected with the oil consumption. If your
>> > engine "consumed" (or lost) 4 quarts of oil in 800 miles, you either
>> > have a whipped engine or a large leak.

>> Disagree, many vans had ridiculously low axle ratios and the absence of
>> OD would have the motor running at 3500+ rpm's at freeway speeds. A
>> tired motor will suck more oil at 3500 than it will at 1800.

>...and a non-tired engine will use no more oil at 3500 than at 1800.

Speaking from experience, you are wrong. I had a 350 that in normal
around town and commuting use would go 1000 miles on a quart. But if
I ran it on a high speed trip, even for only 200 miles (and assuming
it was probably already half a quart low to start) it would use nearly
another quart in that 200 miles. It was like that since I bought it
at 24,000 miles and it stayed exactly like that up till the time I
sold it at 124,000 miles.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789