Old October 9th 04, 02:55 PM
Dave Gower

"Nomen Nescio" > wrote

> Now we are in the age of -45 and lower profiles yet. What is the
> experience with these low, but wide tires.

I know that among Focus owners there are complaints about the 50-series
tires on some sportier models. They handle well but tend to break in
potholes. Apparently it is quite common for Ford dealers in places like New
York City to recommend that owners replace them with the regular 60 series
tires on smaller rims (15 inch vs. 16).

Personally I think that all cars intended for regular real-world use should
be available with 70 series tires. To their credit, DC offers this on the
Neon, as does Honda on the Civic, but on most car models only offer the
sportier tires. Even the new Kia Spectra5 pushed 50-series donuts as
standard, for Pete's sake.