Old October 8th 04, 11:06 PM
Anthony

Steve > wrote in :

> Pretty much ANY engine without a windage tray will consume more oil at
> sustained high RPM. Cylinder walls get over-lubricated so the rings
> have to scrape off more oil, more oil gets flooded into the top end
> and can be sucked up by the PCV system, and general the whole engine
> gets filled with fine oil mist that winds up going straight out the
> PCV system and getting burned. 4 quarts in 800 miles is ridiculously
> excessive, though. Something else is wrong- missing baffles in the
> valve covers, a big leak, or a really worn-out engine.

A certian minute volume of oil is consumed each cycle due to the surface
finish on the cylinder wall. It is designed that way. (Ring
lubrication). There is also a specific volume of oil contained within
the piston skirt surface finish, to lubricate it.
I disagree with the too much oil that it floats the rings theory, in that
the piston is designed to control the oil. The cylinder wall clearances
with the piston skirt determine the maximum volume of oil that can be
passed on to the oil ring. The oil ring and piston are designed to
constructively dispense this known volume of oil to critical places
(wrist pin, for instance).
Increased RPM would not cause any significant increase in oil bypassing
the control ring. This is verified during the engine design and testing
process, oil consumption is a critical testing criteria, along with
emissions, noise, and a host of other items.

4 quarts of oil in 800 miles would be a smoking freight train if it was
burning that much. That volume of oil would foul plugs, choke the valves
with carbon deposits, and **** off anyone driving behind you.
You have a major leak somewhere.

--
Anthony