Old October 27th 04, 02:05 AM
Bill Putney

Richard wrote:
> "TOM KAN PA" > wrote in message
>
>>I just read a post and several replies about poor gas mileage in a Neon.
>>I have a '01 PT Cruiser with 30,000 miles on it. I just did the
>>"recommended
>>30,000 miles spark plug replacement".
>>I still feel lucky if once in 50 fill ups I get 17 mpg.
>>4 cylinder, auto, sticker rated at 22/27 mpg.
>>Bull****!!! I never came close to achieving these mile per gallons.

> You must be doing something wrong. I too have an 01 automatic Limited; use
> 5W-20 Mobil 1, pump the tires to 36 and always get at least 17.5 mpg.
> Sometimes on the interstate, in warm weather, with a tail wind and a slight
> decline, I can manage 22.5. My 3.8 04 mini-van does better. I think Chrysler
> left off the good parts.
>
> Richard.

I'm thinkng more along the lines of something wrong with the vehicle -
like a bad O2 sensor, throttle body needs cleaning, or something. I've
seen mpg discussions on various car forums in which everyone's getting
reasonable numbers, but there's always a couple of credible people
claiming that they get much lower with reasonable highway driving in
essentially the same vehicle - for example, on the 300M forum, most
people will say they get low, mid, or high 20's in normal (i.e.,
non-spirited) driving, but there's always a few who get 16 or 17. I've
gotta think something's not right with the engine controls - usually
something simple - once you know what it is.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')