Old June 7th 05, 11:40 PM
Nate Nagel

Ulf wrote:
> I've noticed that my '92 BMW 535 has a problem with low oil pressure
> when parked at an incline. I made two runs getting sand today, and to
> get the trailer in the right position I had to park the car in the steep
> area of the driveway. Both times the oil pressure light was on when I
> started the car, and the second time it even came on as I was backing
> in. I tried restarting the engine, but same thing. It wasn't until I got
> the car up on level ground and restarted the engine the light finally
> went out. Mind you, both times I had to drive up onto the street, reving
> the engine and with the trailer behind, without oil pressure. Obviously,
> that can't be good. Is this a design flaw in the engine, or is there
> something wrong with my car? I checked to oil level afterwards and it
> was perfect, right below max. I've never had any problems with low oil
> pressure before.
>
> As you can see in this picture, it isn't even that steep:
>
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/trailer.jpg
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ulf

Don't mean to scare you but I used to have an '86 535i and was told by
several knowledgeable BMW enthusiasts that the engine was virtually
indestructible. Well, when I bought it (with about 200K miles) it had a
bad leak from the cat which I had rewelded... then I found that I had a
tapping noise from the engine... well next time I had a free weekend I
took it to my parents' house (about 150 miles away) and reset the valve
clearances... noise still there... that's when I started to get
worried. On the way back the oil light started flickering when I
stopped for tollbooths etc. D'OH! Next time I started the car it
immediately spun a rod bearing. Not good. I'd maybe put 2K miles on
the car and I had to spend as much as I paid for the car to have a
junkyard motor put in it.

IOW, get it checked out soon...

nate

--