Old May 9th 06, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default It's hot in here!

"Old & in the way...." > wrote in message
>I remember long road trips all over the western states and up into
>Canada. That was about 40 years ago in my '65 Stingray. I was young
>and adventurous and thought nothing of driving a day and night
>straight to get somewhere I thought might be better, bigger, higher,
>lower.......
>
> Loved it all, lived out of that car for weeks on end, camping and
> exploring, and lots of fishing. Great memories of three summers,
> including some of cooking my feet and legs from the build up of
> exhaust heat inside the car. That wasn't so good.
>
> I am now retired (finally) and want to recapture some of those
> feelings in a long trip in my new C6 coupe. Coast to coast. I am
> wondering if that heat thing is still a problem in these new Vettes
> when driving 6-8+ hours at a time?
>
> If cabin heat soak is still a problem, what can be done to help
> reduce the affect? Insulating under floor mats, or between
> engine/trans (auto) and the body, or even directly wrapping the
> exhaust? Or?
>
> Is it going to be an issue? If so what to do?
>
> brian

The only issue I had when I drove my '04 coast to coast was the right
seat wanted to stop at night and sleep. No heat problems, just rain
all the way through Oregon and Washington. Hard snow storm in
Yellowstone and that added to the sloppy crap we drove through where
they were rebuilding the road. Over 100 degrees through Utah and
Wyoming that year with just a little let up in the plains of Nebraska
and Kansas. Back in the days of my travel in the '61 hot feet, and
back pain was expected after a 16 hour drive to the south to see my
wife's folks. The '63 I had wouldn't run that far without major
repairs so it went for a '64 that wasn't any better so it went for an
Impala to accommodate the upcoming child. Travel in the C5 and C6 is
not much different than doing it in the Cadillac, just wish there was
some way a woman could pack like you were traveling and not moving.

My God, that's it, those 3 suitcases soaked up the heat, I pack a soft
side so I can use the cracks left over.

As for the C6, it has only been to 14 states so far but just a touch
better than the C5 for creature comfort. I've only seen 104 degrees on
the outside thermometer and as a side note it ran 33 miles to the
gallon that day.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51