Old June 15th 05, 07:46 PM
Spike

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:05:44 -0400, Tom Adkins
> wrote:

Mine's a daily driver. Still, with what I've spent on restoration and
modifications , I don't want to give the local punk an easy mark.

Nothing like walking out of the grocery with your arms full and no
place to put the stuff except on the ground... or take someone special
out to dinner and end up calling a cab for her while spending time
filling out theft reports....

I just want something (or more than one) that sends the potential
thief after someone else's ride. And preferable something simple. I
don't want to have to park next to a light post and haul out an anchor
chain and hulking lock like I do with my bike. Just a simple flip of a
switch. Add a 9 volt battery connected to a flashing LED and you have
psychological deterrence. Toss in a claymore mine wired to the
driver's seat, a couple of flashing neon signs and some NRA and
militia stickers.

I did see something I thought could be adapted... a small advertising
sign with scrolling words that was programmable. Looked kinda like a
third brake light. Enter the message

"I just stole this vehicle. Call 911 and report me."

If the car is started without turning of the sign circuit, the message
is displayed....... : )

> All of this seems like a lot of trouble when you want to drive the car regularly.
> Something I've done is wire the starter crank circiit through a relay in the park
>lamp circuit. Won't crank unless you turn on the park\ running lights. Install a
>bypass in an out of the way location in case there is a problem.
> No add on "kill switch" circuit is fool proof. Most are deterrents and the
>effectiveness if ruled by how well you hide the wiring mods. If the thief can't start
>the car after a minute or so, he'll give up.( And hopefully not do too much damage
>because of his failure). If someone really wants to steal your car, they will use a
>tow truck. No anti-theft features can stop that.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16