Old June 24th 05, 03:48 PM
Remco

Karls Vladimir Pe=F1a wrote:
> Hi Ramva!
>
> I've been rebuilding my '70 bug's engine (1300cc SP mostly stock) and
> everything has been just perfect except for one thing. Some of the exhaust
> studs had some threads stripped, so I got new ones and removed them using
> the double nut technique and in a couple of them, vice grips. The problem
> is, one of the studs had no threads at all, It seems the nut was long gone
> and the J-Pipe stripped it. When using the vice grips the stud just broke
> leaving only about 5mm of it out of the head. Anyways it has no threads, =

and
> the vice grip has no grip at all. How can I remove the stud without remov=

ing
> the head? It seems like I'm cursed with stubborn nuts, bolts and studs.
> Remember the axle nut from hell on christmas 2003?

I split all my nuts (shot in front of open goal there because the
first couple were a bear to loosen and didn't want to take the risk of
what you had happen.
As a replacement I intend to use brass - the dissimilar metal in
contact with eachother may not be a good thing, but they'll split a
whole lot easier.