Old June 24th 05, 11:35 AM
Kruse

Fred of AZ wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I've got a 65 2+2 with the aluminum water pump. I've searched around,
> but have been unable to find a rebuild kit for this particular pump,
> or instructions on how to take it apart and replace the seals, etc. I
> have already replaced with a rebuilt pump since it was leaking, but
> was not asked for the core. I'd like to be able to rebuild it and
> have it as a future replacement.
>
> Any information would be helpful. After all, where do AutoZone,
> Checker, PepBoys, etc, send the cores to be rebuilt?
>
> Fred of AZ

Years ago I worked at a job where we had to rebuild some water pumps.
As Jim said, you need a stationary air/hydraulic press to disassemble
and assemble these pumps. Probably the tricky part is to find the
rebuild kits for a water pump. If you could find a source, you might be
able to rebuild it.
Seems like nobody is asking for the core anymore because it's cheaper
to get a complete new unit (the metal is prolly cast in China) than it
is to truck the core back to the factory.
I think you'd be better off buying an aluminum water pump from a
Mustang specialty shop than to have your core lying around waiting for
it to be reused, but whatever.
I recently ran into a Dodge starter where no core was needed. So I
guess they are manufacturing the whole new starter cheaper than sending
the core back to the factory to be rebuilt.