Old June 24th 05, 01:11 AM
Karls Vladimir Peņa

Default Exhaust studs - How to remove?

Hi Ramva!

I've been rebuilding my '70 bug's engine (1300cc SP mostly stock) and
everything has been just perfect except for one thing. Some of the exhaust
studs had some threads stripped, so I got new ones and removed them using
the double nut technique and in a couple of them, vice grips. The problem
is, one of the studs had no threads at all, It seems the nut was long gone
and the J-Pipe stripped it. When using the vice grips the stud just broke
leaving only about 5mm of it out of the head. Anyways it has no threads, and
the vice grip has no grip at all. How can I remove the stud without removing
the head? It seems like I'm cursed with stubborn nuts, bolts and studs.
Remember the axle nut from hell on christmas 2003?

Thank you all for your help.
Karls