Old February 12th 05, 05:36 AM
Alex Gilblom

Default `71 Ghia Convertible Restoration

Hi All,

I read here all the time both for VW tips and for the ongoing comedy. I'm
very greatful for the nuggets of wisdom I've already received, and I'm sure
I'll be coming back with more questions, but I wondered if there's anything
that strikes anyone about starting a `71 Ghia restoration that they'd like
to tell me before I start it tomorrow. I've done a bit of VW work here and
there on engines and the like, but never a big job like this. It's my dad's,
he's the original owner. I do plan on posting pictures tomorrow, but
basically, it's in the shape any car would be that's been parked for 15
years that had shot brakes, electrical, and various dings. The engine was
running like a champ the last time it was on though. Like I said, it hasn't
been on in 15 years. Actually, it's 2005 now....make that 16 years. My goal
for now is to get the engine to turn over, and worry about the rest later.
I'll be having a pro do the body work, brakes, and paint, as well as any
transmission work.

I've read here for almost a year now and learned a lot, so I'm not asking
for a comprehensive guide, but any last minute tips from people who've gone
through this would be much appreciated. I've got the Bentley manual, muir
manual, how to rebuild a VW aircooled engine...and plenty more. Also
planning to order the BugMe videos. My shop is set up with a new engine
stand, jack, jack stands, and a creeper. I'm raring to go first thing
tomorrow.

Thanks!

-Alex

---
`69 Sunroof Bug
`71 Ghia Convertible (undergoing restoration)
---