Old October 29th 04, 01:14 AM
Bill Putney

Al Smith wrote:

> By the way, little-old me - a mechanical engineer - really doesn't
> understand
> why the pumps were stuck in the tank. I believe "Click and Clack"
> aka Tom and Ray Maliozzi MIT graduates and hosts of Car Talk once,
> as I recall, said they were not sure why the pumps were stuck in the
> tank.

Simple: To increase integration and reduce costs. The auto mfgrs.
prefer to buy fewer total assemblies from suppliers to cut down on costs
such as separate handling, installation, shipping, purchase contracts,
parallel paper trails, tracking systems, project managers, installation
effort, etc. By putting the fuel pump with the "sending" unit, the fuel
pump and gage sender (and, in the case of the LH cars, the fuel filter)
get incorporated into one purchased "part".

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')