Old April 24th 06, 10:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default brake pad & rotor question

In article >, Voinin wrote:
>daytripper wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:23:13 GMT, Franz Fripplfrappl > wrote:
>>
>>> I just changed front and back pads and rotors. Brakes seem "soft".
>>>
>>> What might cause this? Do new pads/rotors need time to adjust? Oil on
>>> pads or rotors?
>>>
>>> I did not bleed brake fluid this time.
>>>
>>> Thanks for advice.

>> And as a result you're likely feeling air in the system...

>Why is this? I just changed my front pads and will be doing my rear
>pads in the near future. My brakes don't feel bad at all. Changing the
>pads and rotors should not have any effect on air in the system, should it?

Of course not! It's not the hydraulic system that's opened.

To the OP: Yes, it takes a few tens or hundreds of kilometers for the pads
to seat properly. Nothing to be worried about, just mind that the braking
distances will be slightly longer.

--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng/, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"