Old July 24th 05, 09:19 PM
David Chesler

John S wrote:
> Right, but I assume it is only a problem when the car is being driven. I
> can't think of a reason to hang a parking pass or a handicapped parking
> permit when driving.

The placard has a 7-year or so expiration. After 2 years of flipping
it on and off the mirror it's already getting worn out.

Putting it on and off is just one more pain-in-the-ass thing to
worry about -- sometimes leaving it up is not worth the extra
visibility.

Since I'm able-bodied, I don't want to appear that I took the
spot when I wasn't entitled, so I want to leave it up the entire
time I'm in the spot, which includes some time that I'm driving.
(The placard is issued to my wife, who has radiation-therapy-induced
pneumonitis [She can still use her right ankle quite well, when
she's driving.] If we parked in an HP spot but she's not in the car,
it usually means she didn't feel she could walk all the way back to
the car, and I've gone round to get the car and pick her up.)

> I do see a lot of people driving around with their
> handicapped placards dangling from their mirrors though. Sometimes I
> almost feel that I am the only one without one.

Almost anybody aged or infirm can probably get the requisite
doctor's note.

> It is probably a good idea to remove obstructions from your line of
> vision.

Is that why you've taken a Dremel to the day/night paddle on the
bottom of your mirror?

--
- David Chesler >
Iacta alea est