Old January 24th 05, 02:04 AM

I have to put a new clutch in my 2003 TDI. The first time I have ever
wasted a clutch in 25 years of driving mostly VWs. Wah. Well if the
new heavier duty clutch lasts as expected then maybe I will be less
aggravated.

You know this would be really interesting if oil weight is a cure. Do
you live in an area where cold temps might make some sort of
difference in the test?

"Tony Bad" > wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> I am sure I would be quite mad if they changed a variable in the
>> testing process. If you are curious and it is above and beyond what
>> you should do, maybe you could draw an oil sample to see if a testing
>> lab can tell what oil is in the engine. If they had run the test using
>> your brand and weight of oil and found a problem first, that would be
>> ok. Their next test with a different weight or brand of acceptable oil
>> and the problem went away would be ok. It might suggest that the car
>> works better with a different wieght of oil.
>>

>I am a bit angry, as they are really changing the test so it looks better
>for them. As I posted in earlier threads, the car was using almost or just
>over a quart every 1000miles of late, now, with whatever they put in, it
>used 6 ounces in 1100miles...something is amiss. What really bugs me is that
>if they feel the solution is to switch to a heavier oil, just say so, why
>jerk me around running a test that their monkeying with the variables makes
>a waste of everyone's time. If the car was off warranty, I'd just switch to
>a heavier oil, but there is still some time left, so I was doing as
>recommended in manual, using a thinner oil.
>
>I wonder if that is the issue itself...my 95 Golf had a 2.0, but I never
>used 5W30 or 40 in that, and it never burned a drop. Maybe the probelm all
>along was the oil!
>
>Who knows...well...thanks for your thoughts. Yet again a trip to VW service
>makes me feel like I have been treated like an ass. Maybe after 25 years and
>almost that many different VW's it is time to move on.

Jim B.