Old August 23rd 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default 74 BUG AUTO STICK SHIFT

Hi Frank,

I replaced an autostick to 4sp manual in my first 68' bug. Major
headache, I was 16, and did not know what I was getting into. It was
back in the 80's so let me dust off my memory...

I bought a 4 speed, clutch assembly, flywheel, gland nut, "normal"
pedal assembly and I got started. I found out once I removed the
pedals that there was no cable guide tube in the tunnel, so I needed to
braze/weld one in. I used copper tubing and cut a hole in the tunnel
to do the deed. It was a "mess" <<substitute more explicative words<<
to say the least. I also found out how hard it is to get a bowden tube
just right. Invest in hydraulic clutch perhaps? I also needed the
proper shift plate under the gear shifter. I got that and a proper
gear shifter. As I recall, the autostick shift rod was fine and bolted
up to the manual tranny.

Well I finally got the clutch moving properly. You will need to
replace the auto-stick oil pump with a normal one. I plugged the
vacuum hose line in the intake manifold. I would recommend getting a
new intake manifold since they are cheap.

When I was done, I was happy with the 4 speed. It was a bear to get
done.

Paul