Old August 22nd 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default 74 BUG AUTO STICK SHIFT

Here's the deal.. I had a 71 autostick. I rebuilt the engine, and alot
of people were unable to help me. Like removing the gland nut on the
engine required a special holding tool.. no-one around had one. One guy
installed the wrong gland nut for me, took me hours to figure out why
the engine wouldn't fit back in.. The other shop installed my correct
supplied one, but it spun off a few months later cuasing damage because
he did not have the special proper holding tool to install it.. ..

Alot of people say they can and will work on the autostick... but
unless I knew for sure, I'd stay away. I had way too many problems..

I used to collect autostick parts and kept a couple tranny spares as
extra. I sold them for about $100-$150 each. Best thing I think for you
would be to search for a good used one, and do it yourself. I've never
seen a new autostick tranny. Working on the autostick is quite the
task.. those little torque converter bolts.. Buy some spares from
CIP1.com before you do anything. Get some spare gland nuts.. because
most likely, no local shop would have the parts. Maybe even a spare
flexplate. I had spare servos, even the solenoid valves. Fortuneatly,
my tranny was never a problem, and I sold the vehicle before it could
be!!! Got me a European 1960 with Manual Transmission. I learned how to
drive stick in a day. To think I thought I had to have an Autostick..

The autostick is very complex. You got the shifter contacts, nuetral
safety switch, special oil pump, special tins, metal oil lines,
flexplate, glandnut, torque converter bolts, clutch disc, throwout
bearing, vacuum solenoid pump on the firewall, special carburetor
intake different pedal assembly.. shifter.. .. etc.. . Things alot of
Manual Transmission bug owners never heard of or seen. That is why a
large majority of Autostick owners have converted their rides to
Manual, or have sold them.