Old May 31st 05, 03:27 PM
Ted B.

"Larry Bud" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> For the last couple of weeks there's been a roadside radar in my
> neighborhood. I've driven by it about 5 times and it COMPLETELY is
> incorrect in reading my vette. It reads 18-20 MPH when I'm going
> 35-40.
>
> I'm certainly not complaining, but wondering if radar is inheriently
> bad at reading a low profile car like mine.

About a year ago, I was walking down a street in Central MA (forget the
town, but Northeast of Southboro). As I passed a radar trailer with NO
automobile traffic on the road, it flashed me as "38". Remember, I was
walking, and I wasn't even walking at a brisk pace, probably 3MPH at best.

Several months ago, I passed a radar trailer on I-90W driving a Ford Ranger
(about as UN-low profile as you can get). I believe I was still in NY state
at the time. I had the cruise control set on 72, and my speed was pretty
close to that, according to my speedometer. According to the radar trailer,
I was driving 86MPH. (I don't THINK so!!!) Yeah, the speedometer could
have been a little off, but not that far. At 60MPH in the same vehicle, it
takes 60 seconds to travel one mile. (I did this test to double-check it)

It's not your car. Radar is very inaccurate. In fact, it probably
shouldn't be used for speed measurement at all. -Dave