Old September 9th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
unr

Default EXPERT NEEDED 4 Mystery: Intermittent Power Loss in 1989 Chevy G10 Van with 305

When if fails it just cuts out with no backfire, no sputter, no gradualness.
If you then give it gas there can sometimes be no power at all or, other
times, much reduced power, almost enough to maintain speed but no
possibility of accelerating. There is no unusual sound.

I have been carrying both the coil and the computer which I will now replace
but am trying to collect a list of all possible options to do them all at
once. This issue has been such an aggravation in its tendency to reappear I
really want to try to put it down once and for all.

Thanks for the guidance.

"George" > wrote in message
> What does it do when it fails? Any backfire? Does it just abruptly
> lose all power, or gradually slow down, or ...? When you give it more
> gas, do you get any response? Do you hear anything?
>
> And, for how relatively little it costs, I'd probably replace the coil.
>

> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:35:13 -0400, "unr" > wrote:
>
> >I just checked the records and both the throttle position sensor and the

air
> >control valve *were* replaced. Neither of these fixed the problem.
> >
> >The fuel pump has not been replaced but the pressure checked fine in the
> >Chevy dealership.
> >
> >The coil has not been replaced.
> >

> >"unr" > wrote in message
> et...
> >> Intermittent Power Loss in 1989 Chevy G10 Van with 305
> >>
> >> For 10K the van loses power intermittently for 1 to 10 seconds then

comes
> >> back to normal power. It happens at all speeds from thruway to idle.

> >> variety of shops including a Chevy dealer have failed to eliminate the
> >> problem. The following have been checked or replaced: fuel pump

pressure