Old September 12th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Will Honea[_1_]

Default JEEP Cherokee Brake Lights

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 02:07:16 UTC "Len" > wrote:

> 01 Loredo, With running lights on and press on the brake, all tail
> lights go out. The hatch light works fine. Could this be the brake
> switch. If so , what is the trick to getting the wire harness
> unplugged?

In general, what you describe is a ground problem with the rear lights
- brake lights use more power than the tail lights, so if the ground
is flakey, the extra load will cause the bad grouind to open. If you
pull the light assembly, you should find a ground wire from the
plastic housing to the rear fender - take that sucker loose from the
fender and clean the snot out of it

Don't know exactly how your brake switch is mounted - you don't give a
year - but on my vintage '88 the brake switch is a simple normally
open switch mounted on the brake pedal where the square end of the
connecting rod operates it - no way is it going to affect the tail
lights.

--
Will Honea