Old September 1st 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Default OT: Boats (was I'm baaaaack....)

Dana H. Myers wrote:

> Power boating is an amazingly expensive hobby. I have a friend that
> was basically given full use of a moderate-sized boat with an in-board
> V8, only to find he couldn't afford the gas to use it.
>
> Dana

Kayaking and canoes can be pretty expensive too, but at least 99% of the
expense is in the initial purchase of the boat and accessories.

Plus kayaking, when properly done by using the torso for power and the
arms as levers for the paddle, is one of the best ways to keep the spare
tire gut away and is great for cardiovascular exercise.

BTW, my "kayak" has a mount for a trolling motor and battery, but ANY
motorized vehicle to be operated on public Texas waters must be
registered, regardless of power and speed. I am estimating that it will
have a top speed of about 5 mph with the motor, or about what two decent
paddlers can get it going for a while.
It is a sit on top tandem model that is much more stable than fast.
Perfect for fishing or playing from, not so great for long trips.

The point is, the registration process is complicated and there is very
little difference in price between registering my 12 foot plastic boat
with a 28 pound thrust electric trolling motor and a 30 foot
high-horsepower motorboat, so even "electric power" boating is pretty
expensive here.

Pat