Old May 8th 05, 09:20 PM
Crabs

Larry & Michele wrote:
> hey guys, this is my first post to this group but ive seen a lot of good
> things and knowledgable responses so i wanted to post. I have a 79 L48 w/
> edelbrock intake and 3/4 cam , weber carb. I dont know specs on cam as it
> was installed by previous owner. Anyways the car runs/ looks great with the
> exception of whenever i give hard acceleration or a steady acceleration
> between 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th , if i let the rpm go over 4000 rpms the
> engine stutters and acts like it drops a cylinder. When you let off the
> accelerator and shift, it accelerates fine until i hit that 4000 mark again.
> Mind you I dont make it a habit of pushing the engine that hard but its just
> one of those things that drives me nuts. Ive replaced the plugs and wires
> ( plugs looked fine btw) the weights in the advance are fine, the only thing
> i havent looked at is the fuel system , tho after reading a post here about
> a stuttering 69 i may. any thoughts?
> Larry in Va Beach

Since several private forums like JLA Enterprises have begun copying all
we say and do on alt.autos.corvette and getting their piece of
advertising dollars for it, while we the originators of the information
get nothing, several have begun to migrate away from here so you may not
get a lot of helpful answers.
So to JLA and the others like them I say...

**** OFF!!!

Having said that, there could be multiple reasons for your stutter. It
could be fuel, ignition, or valves float due to improper valve lash or a
bad lifter or two (not likely, but possible, besides it would make lots
of noise and run very badly at idle, if this was the case).
Sounds as if you already ruled out ignition, so fuel delivery is the
next more likely cause. Fuel filter, vacuum leak, carb adjustment. I'd
start with those first, then move to the more expensive, more difficult
possibilities.
Are you sure it's a Weber Carb? I can't say that I've ever seen a single
Weber carb for a small block, or a big block for that matter. Is it one
of those nifty multiple two barrel setups, or what?

TomC
'90 ZR1