Old May 7th 05, 03:18 AM
SoCalMike

Brigid Nelson wrote:

> There's a lot of info online about it and community groups are beginning
> to sprout up in the usual places. Those who oppose it claim that the
> resources we would need to exploit in order to grow that much grain
> makes it as potentially ecologically damaging as petrol products. I
> personally don't buy that argument, and as someone who doesn't eat grain
> I think it's better used as fuel - and feeding livestock.

as an aside, couldnt biodiesel be made from, say, chicken
grease/hamburger drippings, etc? im sure that all ends up in fry oil,
when you fry fish, nuggets, etc... some fat from the meat ends up in
there as well.

and currently, AFAIK, all that grease/oil/etc is recycled by companies
that turn it into ingredients for everything from dog food to makeup.

so expect prices on that stuff to go up as well, if we start refining it
and burning it in diesel engines on a large scale. in other words, there
is already a demand for that supply of waste oil. its not like it gets
dumped in landfills. or does it?