Old January 11th 05, 12:28 PM
Tim923

>Describe your experience. There are pedestrians whose word I would
>take on this sort of assertion, and then there are those who behave
>as badly as the guy who merged onto the Interstate at 20 mph in front
>of Scott. Guys like that probably behave so stupidly at crosswalks
>that no one SHOULD stop for them.

I think in my old town, if the pedestrian gets to the crosswalk first
and gets two full strides into the road, the car at least slows down
and establishes eye contact, especially in a residential university
crosswalk area named University BLVD. Maybe I just had bad luck.

Even in my old town, I've been in a number of uncomfortable situations
where I had the "walk" signal, but that happened in less residential
areas. Drivers turn right on red without stop, and cars with green
left arrows don't anticipate, and will leave a pedestrian standing on
the double yellow lines.