Old November 22nd 04, 12:37 AM
Wayne Crannell

In article >,
daytripper > wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:50:55 -0600, "RapidRon" >
> wrote:
>
> >I still hate the throttle control on my '01 A4 2.8 after owning it for 6
> >months. Is there any way to gain some improvement in the drive by wire
> >throttle? Is there a chip available for this engine that can help civilize
> >it (erratic, unpredictable, sluggish, laggy and jumpy with a mind of its
> >own).
> >
> >This car should be fun to drive, not a pain.

> Indeed, I'd suspect there is something uniquely disfunctional with your A4...

Nope...I have the same car, same year, and mine does it too. An
incredibly annoying lag in throttle response. (our A6 doesn't do it)
Then it jumps or grabs or whatever. There are times pulling into traffic
that you wonder if you are going to make it. The turbo can be chipped
but the 2.8 really can't...well, it can, but you're wasting a buttload
of money just to smooth out the throttle since the chip is made to do a
lot of things for the turbo that it obviously won't do for the 2.8. And
the dealer looked dumber than a box of doorknobs when I tried to get the
throttle adjusted.

We own two Audis but as of next summer will own none. Cars that cost
this much should drive better and last longer than your average Honda. I
just read an article on certified pre-owned cars where Audi was shown to
have the best program with 301 different checks. Maybe they ought to
apply the same standard to the first time they inspect them...or maybe
the problem is that they NEED 301 checks.

The veneer of existential "cool" that comes from driving an Audi wears
off when windows start going down by themselves (A6), the front end
falls apart at 30k miles (A6), the seats come loose (A4), and the they
rattle like a mid-70s Ford (both).

--
Wayne Crannell
Xxxxxxx, TX