Old August 14th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Default Can't get another key for my Accord (Part two)!

Wayne Atkinson wrote:

> Sorry to be posting this again but I'm still stuck and hope that a fresh
> pair of eyes might spot this and be able to help. I've added the latest
> developments at the bottom.
>
> Having bought a second-hand Accord Executive (UK, 2001 automatic 2ltr)
> > we thought it prudent to order a new key from our local Honda
> > dealership, as there was only one key supplied with the car. The key
> > was obtained from Honda UK and programmed by the dealership, however,
> > it refused to start the engine. Honda UK was consulted and they
> > suggested that the engine control module was faulty, and the
> > dealership swapped in another ECM but the problem persisted. The
> > Dealer then obtained another key from Honda, but this one also refuses
> > to work. The Dealer now says they cannot afford to investigate further
> > and have (reluctantly) returned the £40+ that I had paid for the
> > "blank" key. We are now back to square one, and worried as to what we
> > could do if our only key failed or was lost. Grateful for any
> > observations. Wayne.

> Since I posted the original plea, a couple of things have happened , though.
> nothing that helps.
>
> I obtained a second original key from the previous owner. The fob works
> fine, but that key also won't start the engine.
> I returned the car to the Honda dealership it came from, (a 240 mile round
> trip), they tried to program the key but also failed. They couldn't offer
> much other help.
> I contacted Honda Customer Services who could offer no help at all!, apart
> from telling me to go back to the dealer. Isn't technology wonderful.......

--------------------------------------

It really sounds like your dealer is a boob. Have you read all the TSB's
about how your immobilizer system is supposed to work, and what it takes
to get a new (or old) key to work?

Some of these are not for your vehicle, but if you search around, I
suspect you'll soon know more about it than your dealer.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/misc/x01-077e.pdf
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/index-issue.html
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x02-053e.pdf
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x01-053e.pdf