Old March 11th 05, 02:01 PM
George

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>The trucking industry group also warns that tolls on existing highways
>>could drive truck traffic onto city streets, worsening traffic
>>congestion on those roads.

> That's an empty threat. Truckers are under ridiculously tight
> deadlines; there's no way in hell they are going to slog their way
> through city streets just to save a few bucks - they would lose too
> much time.

It is a problem and not all trucks are under tight deadlines. There was
a huge increase in truck traffic (heavy during the day and a constant
stream all night)on a 2 lane road not far from me that parallels the
pike for about 30 miles and passes thru 5 towns. This wasn't because a
road was converted to a turnpike but mainly because of the rise in truck
operating costs. I can just imagine how many towns would be crushed if a
road were converted to a turnpike.

There were so many complaints that one of the towns enacted a truck ban.
But the ban may not stick. A town in northern NJ did the same thing
becuase there was a constant stream of trucks clogging up its main st
when avoiding the turnpike but there is current legal action there
because the truck companies are claiming they are exempt because of the
interstate commerce clause.

> In reality, reduced congestion benefits Truckers. They will be glad to
> pay. For proof just look at I-44 through Oklahoma; ever see any trucks
> driving on that toll road? How about the Pennsylvania Turnpike? I
> think I can recall seeing a truck or two there, as well...

In many cases turnpikes offer the only route so I think "glad to pay"
might be more likely "have to pay".