Old January 28th 05, 06:35 AM
Rein

On 28 Jan 2005 01:24:27 GMT, Joe > wrote:

>"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
>news >
><lots of stuff snipped>
>> Unfortunately they are using an engine that doesn't fit into tight
>> spaces well. The 4.6L engines are too big from valve cover to valve
>> cover and the extra stroke of the 5.4L engines just make it worse.

>Those motors are physically way too big for their displacement. Now,
>if you look at a pushrod motor...
>
>> They are getting quite good hp\torque numbers from the newer 3-valve
>> head version of the 4.6L though. The good thing is they can put a
>> blower on the motor and have more torque than you could get out of a
>> N/A stroked 460.

>Yes, but the obvious argument is that when you do the same thing to
>the Hemi or LS motors, your power is far beyond what any 4.6 can put
>out.

Wouldn't do that on a normal ls2 engine. It won't live long for sure.
Why do you think Lingenfelter replaces half the LS1's engine to use
forced induction ? It can't handle it otherwise.

OHC is the way to go, the japs figured that out long time ago.

>> Personally I would like to see Ford make an $80k-$90k Vette/Viper
>> killer along the lines of the GTR-1 with the N/A V-10. They would
>> sell like hotcakes (relatively speaking), IMHO.

>That would be very cool, but given Ford's financial situation I doubt
>they'd consider it anytime soon. It's too late for them to start down

Given Ford's intro of the Shelby GR1 I'd say it's VERY likely to see
it.

>that path. IMO Ford should concentrate on the Mustang GT, as it's the
>best overall car they've got. Nothing like building on top of a great
>foundation.

that was just an exercise. They cranked that puppy out in a record
time and it beats anything American out there.
Now look at the GR1, another record development.