Old June 17th 05, 10:45 PM
Ernie Sty

"RPS" > wrote in message
>I suppose this can apply to any product but in this case I am thinking
> of tires:
>
> (1) I can buy a pricier model which will last a long time, but then I'd
> have an old tire most of that time.
>
> (2) I can buy a less expensive model but change it more frequently, so
> I'd have a newer tire most of the time.
>
> Which is the better way?
>
> Would you buy a new Lexus every 10-12 years , or a new Corolla/Camry
> every 4-5 years?

My advice: forget about price and longevity, buy on performance. If a tire
handles better and stops quicker, it may save you from having an accident
(not to mention handle better and make the car more fun to drive.)

Look for performance test ratings (found in a number of different magazines
such as Consumer Reports) for your climate type (for example in a very rainy
climate I'd look for the best wet-traction tire.)

STICKY tires are made from SOFTER rubber. Softer rubber wears faster.
Tires that have very high wear ratings are made from HARDER rubber, which
does not stick to the road as well. Therefore you may pay top dollar for a
tire with an extremely long wear rating/tread warranty, and yet you're
getting a pretty crappy tire when it comes to handling, braking and
performance!!