Old March 14th 05, 06:15 AM
Robert Cruickshank

Default UAW throws marines out of parking lot

George Grapman wrote:
>>> Took less than a minute to go to the UAW site to find this . Don't
>>> you think they make this information available to their members?
>>>
>>> http://uaw.org/uawmade/cartruck2005.cfm

>> %%%% They left out that Hondas, Toyotas, VWs, and Nissans are also built
>> here but not in "union" plants. )
>>

> Toyatas in California are built in a union plant.

The NMMI plant in Fremont is a joint Toyota/GM operation. It was
originally built by GM in 1954, a relocation from Richmond, CA. When the
plant originally opened the UAW came with it down from Richmond. When
the joint venture commenced, in the 1980s I believe, a condition was
keeping the union contract in place. It is the only Japanese automakers'
plant in the US that is unionized.

Of course, Detroit wasn't exactly pro-union either, and they worked to
undercut the UAW by moving production to right-to-work states and rural
areas as early as the '50s.

I don't feel like making too many responses on this thread, so I'll just
point out here that the other poster who found the UAW link is right,
this information is definitely made available to members - even a member
like me who is in a non-automaking section of the UAW. And if I know
this stuff you can sure as hell bet that the UAW workers in auto plants
know what cars are union-made and which aren't.

--
Robert I. Cruickshank
roadgeek, historian, progressive