Old July 23rd 05, 03:10 AM
Elwood

Hi, thanks for the info. The T-50 would be nice, but I think it's a top
loader and may be too far back in the console (like the T-5 and T-56). I
was thinking if I could use a side loader like the MY6 there would be a
chance to bolt it in as a direct swap. The one I was looking at was named
the NP440 O/D 4 SPEED from a mid 80's Chevy truck. It was sitting in a 57
truck behind a 283 and all the shift linkage swapped right over (I think
they had pulled out a Saginaw 4 spd). The length and output shaft were ( I
am told) the same as a TH350. If they are prone to gear whine and failure
I may just stick with what's in there. Thanks again.
"Big Al" > wrote in message

> "Elwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> m...
> > Hi, am wondering about the feasibility of swapping the Muncie out for

one
> > of
> > the side loaders from an early eighties Chevy truck. I think GM calls it
> > the
> > NP260 (MY6) which I guess is like the old New Process A833, which is
> > really
> > a 3 speed with Overdrive. The ratios are :3.090 1.670 1.000 0.730 It's
> > basically a stock engine, so with 180 HP am not too concerned about
> > tearing
> > it up. The looks and runs great, but the truth be told, my wife and
> > daughter
> > are the only ones that drive it. If it got better mileage and it was an
> > easy swap, I might go visit the wrecker. So if you can clue me in on
> > splines, yolks, tail shafts and shifter placement,ect, I'd be much
> > obliged,
> > thx
> >

> There is one other transmission to consider. The T-50. Used in the Monza
> type cars by Chevy, Olds, Buick and Pontiac. I think they came out in 75

or
> 76. Also used in the Chevelle and Olds F-85 and some Vega's. They may have
> been in some Vettes?? It has a different shift pattern from the newer 5
> speeds, First is over and down. Fifth is under fourth. It's a small
> lightweight unit with a similar OD to the Chrysler and Ford built 4

speeds.
> For what it's worth, lived with two of the Chrysler built 4 speeds. One in

> 77 Volare, one in a 82 GMC pickup. Both failed with the same problem. OD
> gear starts whining. When you pull it apart fourth gear, the cluster and

on
> the Volare the input shaft and output shaft were shot. Very expensive

parts.

> Another option would be a Camaro or Mustang T-5. Especially if it was

behind