Old December 16th 04, 04:55 PM
ray

> This may be a naive question, but please bear with me.
>
> I have driven 5 speed transmissions for most of my life and am now
> upgrading to a great vehicle with a 6 speed.
>
> I wonder if other stick shift lovers out there can tell me when and how
> they like to use the 6th gear? Is there more to it than when you're in
> cruise control on an interstate?

Well, you use it much like you would the first 5 gears.

Seriously.

In my Trans Am, 6th is pretty much a highway only gear. It allows for
about 1100 rpm at 60 mph and decent fuel economy on the highway. It
allowed GM to put in a half decent ratio (notice I didn't say the actual
gears - they're junk) of 3.42 for wicked acceleration. In fact on the
stock tires I would launch at only 1700 rpm at the strip unless I wanted
to smoke the tires for 200 feet.

Anyway, 6th is just another gear.

Ray