Old August 6th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Simon Juncal

Default Low TJ oil pressure = new oil pump?

Ralph DL wrote:
> The oil pressure gauge on my TJ is high, 40+, while the engine runs at
> road speeds, but at idle the needle sometimes drops to zero, and then
> climbs up to about 10 pounds. Sometimes while at idle it swings back
> and forth between 0 and 10.
>
> I disconnected the electric oil pressure sending unit and attached a
> mechanical gauge... same behavior... the pressure falls and rises at
> idle like before.

Sounds pretty cut and dried, if it's not the Oil pump then you've got
something very strange going on like a cam bearing with a crack that's
letting oil pulse out or something like that...

On the other hand if it is the pump and you aren't hearing lifter noise
yet then it's probably not too late for your bearings... lifters deflate
and start clattering below about 9 or 10 PSI.

--
Simon
"I may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain." -- Robert A. Heinlein