Old January 13th 05, 08:08 PM
Michael N. LeVine

In article >,
Scott en Aztl?n > wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2005 08:29:32 -0800, "rides_twins"
> > wrote:
>
> >Please help!
> >
> >I wanted to buy a "new" vehicle from a dealer out of state because I
> >won't have to pay sales tax. But I was told that I would have to pay
> >the tax once I register the vehicle in my home state (CA - California).
> >Does anyone know if this is true or if there is a way to get around
> >having to pay the full taxes?

> No, it's not new, and yes, it's true.
>
> Another thing to watch out for is to make SURE that the new vehicle
> you buy is EPA certified for sale in California. There will be a
> sticker under the hood that MUST say "California" on it, otherwise yu
> will not be able to register the car here. Usually this isn;t a
> problem, but it's best to find out BEFORE you buy.
>
> >I know when you buy used, a lot of people just write the purchase price
> >really low. But how does the DMV check on these things?

> The DMV is wise to all your tricks. They have a book i which they
> look up the taxable value of your vehicle. Thus, even if you manage to
> purchase it for $1 (or forge the bill of sale to make it appear so),
> they will still charge you use tax and VLT based on the book value of
> the car.

In 2000 my father (a California resident) bought a car in Florida.
The Car dealer collected the appropriate California state sales taxes.
The documentation provided included a certificate showing the Ca. Taxes
paid in Fl. A couple of weeks later, the car was registered in
Ca. and the certificate was accepted in lieu of use tax. I believe
they got it from the money paid in Fl.
--
Michael LeVine -
"Thirty days hath September, April, June and November.