Old January 13th 05, 04:56 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, rides_twins wrote:

> I wanted to buy a "new" vehicle from a dealer out of state because I
> won't have to pay sales tax. But I was told that I would have to pay
> the tax once I register the vehicle in my home state (CA - California).

That's the least of your worries.

California does not allow new (= under 7500 miles) vehicles to be
registered in California *unless* the vehicle is manufacturer-certified as
complying with California emission standards. Rest-of-the-US standards
alone don't qualify. If the underhood Vehicle Emission Control Information
label does not specifically say that the vehicle meets California
standards, you won't be allowed to register it. If you try, you're likely
to get the vehicle's VIN blacklisted so that you can *never* register it
in CA. CADMV is a law unto itself.